Sunday, January 18, 2009

I was on my way home and I remembered that her birthday is today.
I sent her a message at 12 but I thought, I should have the bit of decency and call.
So I called her
"Happy birthday!"
"thank you Mozzzaa... where are you?"
"Zamalek"
"Oh seriously? I'm at Carlo's having my birthday, why don't you come?"
"Ummm I'm not sure... I could pass by"
"Yes do that!"

"Hey! Come outside, I'm waiting outside"
"why don't you come in?"
"well... I'd rather you come outside."
Then she saw me
"ah 7aseit enek mesh 3azwa tedkholy labsa lebs reyada"
"da mesh lebs reyada"
I looked at her in confusion.
I was wearing Jeans, white converse, a black top and a black Pullover, so yeah it's not Le Pacha type of clothes, though I sometimes go there like that at lunch, but I didn't feel like going in
and when the hell was Jeans sportswear?
anyway... that's not the point here
"so what have you been doing?"
"Well. I was at a play f west el balad" (it wasn't really west el balad)
"I don't like West el balad." "Do you mean the band?"
"No. It was in west el balad! Downtown!"
"What was it about?"
"Well it was satricial, it was interesting in a way."
"beytray2o ala hosny mobarak we keda?"
I didn't reply.
"El sara7a ana omry ma kont ba7ebo bas wallahy enharda kan kwayes fel speech!"
"huh" (I didn't know what she was talking about)
"the cease fire"
"Oh right!" (shame on you! Shame on you! well since I've been interening at this newspaper I've been following up on news every single day, and I also signed up for the google alerts thing, which really fills up my inbox, two days ago I had enough of it and I just delete them before reading anything. Everyday it's the same. Same news, different wording. Same people, same everything. I don't think I'll ever want to be a Journalist but that's a whole different issue.)
"ba3d eih!" I said
and then she laughed
"3arfa 7agat el tarya2a elly mawgooda fel magalat, tella2y masaln 7aga maktooba 3ala ma7al ghalat we keda."
well....
it was satricial, but not in the way you're describing!
anyway
some other friends arrived, and I had to go, had to pass up on the empty hellos
so I left
"we should do something" she told me before I left
"sure. I'm on vacation."
I knew we would never do something
I always say that "I'm on vacation call me anytime."
though I know very well that this person won't bother calling and neither would I

6 comments:

Ice Queer said...

"Empty hellos"...i liked this expression!

Mohammad said...

It's sad, but its the whole civility and small talk thingy... If u're not good at it, u're considered aloof.

Where did "good friends" go?

Anonymous said...

lol
i get that all the time (the whole "sports wear" or whichever crap ba2a i hear from people commenting on what i wear though i personally like what i wear and how i look in whichever i choose to wear in general, else i wouldnt be wearing it!)
and as for the entire dialogue between you and your friend... lol.. yeah.. i have those too!

i guess no good deed goes unpunished; YOU called her! :D

Zee Puppette said...

I hate those superficial artificial small make-believe conversations.
They make me feel like such a hypocrite.

artisto said...

Should've at least got a piece of the cake!! :)
Msh kan fih cake bardo?

silent observer said...

heheh, lol ma3rfsh. Maybe. I missed that